One risk factor for erectile dysfunction is being overweight or obese. And guess what? Belly fat, the fat accumulation in and around your abdomen, is a good sign of weight management issues. Doctors have linked belly fat not just to erectile problems, but also a number of serious health conditions such as heart disease and diabetes.
Your abdomen can contain substantial amounts of a type of fat, which is called visceral fat. It is located inside your abdominal cavity in close proximity to your abdominal organs.
The presence of visceral fat can be a factor in getting health conditions such as high cholesterol, high triglycerides, stroke, heart attack, and diabetes. Another bad news is that men have a greater tendency than women to gain extra weight in the midsection.
It is therefore important to have a good estimate of your belly fat levels. Do this by measuring the circumference of your waist, above your hipbone. You typically have elevated disease risks if you have a waist measurement of more than 40 inches. In certain cases, men with waistlines smaller than this mark can also have risks that are related to significant belly fat.
For a more accurate measurement, you can go to your doctor for your hip-to-waist ratio, or your height-to-weight ratio.
Here are some ways you can help reduce belly fat, which are also what you would use to reduce fat in other parts of your body.
- Lower your overall calorie intake and reduce your portion sizes in meals if you eat more food than you need to maintain your weight.
- Get moderate and high-intensity exercises, such as walking or bicycling for about three times a week.
- Benefit from strength training, such as lifting weights or using resistance bands. These exercises will not help you lose the extra pounds per se, but they will help you build more muscle to better replace those pesky fat accumulations.
- Get plenty of sleep and rest every day.
- Follow smart lifestyle choices, such as avoiding smoking or substance abuse.
Address belly fat right away to fight the threat of obesity and the range of diseases that may follow. Keep posted for more men’s health news, such as natural male enhancement techniques you shouldn’t miss.